About the BFAC Grant Program
APPLICATION INFORMATION 2017
The Grants Committee of the Bethlehem Fine Arts Commission (BFAC) invites arts organizations to apply to it for funds to support their activities that will take place in Bethlehem between June 1, 2017 and May 31, 2018. This grant program supports the mission of the Fine Arts Commission, which is to provide leadership in the arts through advocacy, education, and celebration. The grants are offered to encourage new works of art, educational programs, exhibits, presentations, and other arts-related activities.
A total of $3,000 is available for awards this year. The total may be awarded to one applicant or divided among applicants. An awardee may be granted all or part of the money for which it applies. In 2015 the total was divided among three projects, in 2016 between two projects.
Submit two copies of proposals for funding to the Grants Committee, Bethlehem Fine Arts Commission, P.O. Box 1851, Bethlehem, PA, 18016, postmarked no later than Monday, April 17, 2017. Proposals postmarked after that date cannot be considered.
ELIGIBILITY OF ORGANIZATIONS AND PROJECTS
Eligibility is limited to:
- Projects that are to take place or be presented in Bethlehem. They may have other nearby venues as well.
- Registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations
- Organizations that are arts-related or that propose a project that is arts-related in fulfillment of their mission
- One proposal from an organization per funding cycle
- Proposals to fund specific arts activities, presentations, events, programs, or works. Proposals to fund capital campaigns, cover annual operating expenses, pay for the purchase of buildings, or reduce the organization’s acquired debt are not eligible.
- Proposals for a portion or for all of the available funds
Furthermore, awardees of previous BFAC Grants are eligible to apply only if they submitted their required final project reports.
REQUIRED PROPOSAL CONTENTS
- Name, address, phone number, e-mail address of the organization
- *The organization’s contact person and, if different from the organization’s, that person’s contact information
- The organization’s mission statement
- Documentation of the organization’s 501(c)(3) status
- The organization’s primary locality of activity
- Names, addresses, and occupations of the members of the organization’s Board of Directors (as an attachment)
- A description of who will benefit from the proposed program, work, or presentation
- The goal or objective of the proposed activity/work and how it relates to the organization’s mission
- The dates and duration of the proposed activity/work
- A description of how the project will be carried out
- A description of how the organization will acknowledge, wherever practical, the BFAC’s support in project fliers, posters, announcements, exhibits, and presentations
- A complete budget for the project, including other sources of revenue supporting the project being proposed (as an Attachment)
- The financial statement for the organization’s most recently completed fiscal year (as an attachment)
The Grants Program Committee will review all proposals that are postmarked by the due date and make formal recommendations for awards to the Fine Arts Commission at its regular meeting in the first week of May. In its review of grant proposals, the Committee will use the following criteria:
- Eligibility: do the applying organization and proposed project meet the stated standards for eligibility?
- Purpose of the project: how well does the proposed project reflect the objectives of the Fine Arts Commission?
- Information provided: how completely and clearly are the Required Proposal Contents provided?
- Funding requested: how closely does it match the likely costs to be covered?
- Where proposals are judged to be of equal merit, preference will be given to the project or organization which has not been funded recently.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF AWARDS
Applicants and the press will be notified of the BFAC’s decisions by letter following its May meeting and the money will be provided to the awardees at that time. Awards to successful applicants will be publicly presented by the Chair of the BFAC Grants Committee at the Tribute to the Arts Celebration. (Date and location to be announced)
An awardee agrees to return the grant funds to the BFAC promptly if it cancels or otherwise does not execute the funded project.
The recipient of a BFAC grant agrees to submit two copies of a written final report within 90 days of project completion that includes
- a brief narrative on the process and outcomes of the project, including how BFAC’s sponsorship was publicly acknowledged
- a brief financial report stating the full costs of the project
- an account of how the Commission’s funds were used.
Submit final reports to:
BFAC Grants Committee, Bethlehem Fine Arts Commission,
P.O. Box 1851, Bethlehem, PA, 18016.
Please direct any questions about this program and process to firstname.lastname@example.org